Equipping you to study the Bible on your own.
Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him." Gen. 2:18
Marriage the Way God Created It
2. In what way did God create man like himself? (Caution: It is not a physical likeness, for God is essentially spirit (John 4:24). It must have some other meaning.)
3. How does God’s resolve to create man in His own likeness relate to the statements in the text of Gen. 1:26 and 28?
A. Paradise Perfected
1. God placed Adam, the first man, in a near-perfect environment. But God said there was something that was not good about Adam's environment. Gen 2:18
a. God is a social being.
b. Since God created man in His own image He made man a social being.
c. APPLICATION: God made man to exist in a meaningful relationship with Him and also with other people.
2. What, in this passage, is the first reason for which God created woman? 2:18a
3. What, in this passage, is the second reason for which God created woman? 2:18b
4. What is a third reason for which God created woman (implied elsewhere in Gen. 1:28a)?
B. What Is Marriage?
1. It is A UNION. Genesis 2:24
a. Who is united in a marriage?
b. What family unit is left to create a marriage?
c. How is the union described?
2. It is AN UNCONDITIONAL UNION. Gen. 2:24
a. Are there any conditions attached to this union?
b. Did God provide for a termination of this union?
3. It is A DIVINELY-BONDED UNION. Gen. 2:18-22, 24
a. God planned it. Gen. 2:18-20
b. God brought it into existence. Gen. 2:21-22
d. Jesus stated that, in a marriage, God joins a man and woman together. Since God has joined the two together, what does Jesus exhort man NOT to do?
4. It is A UNION OF MALE AND FEMALE. Gen. 1:26-27
a. Can two men ever make a marriage?
b. Can two women ever make a marriage?
5. It is a UNION OF ONE MALE AND ONE FEMALE. Gen. 2:22-24
a. Does God’s design promote pre-marital sex?
b. Does God’s design promote adultery?
c. Does God’s design promote polygamy
d. Does God’s design promote promiscuity?
6. It is a LIFE-LONG UNION. Gen. 2:18-25
a. Did God’s design include a Trial Marriage?
b. Did God’s design include Divorce?
c. Did God’s design include Death?
7. It is a UNION INITIATED BY ONE PERSON. Gen. 2:24
a. What is God’s design as to who proposes marriage?
b. What is God’s design as to who responds to the proposal of marriage?
8. It is an INDEPENDENT UNION. Genesis 2:24
a. What independence does God mandate in a marriage?
b. Upon marriage, a wife’s primary loyalty switches from her ___________ to her ____________.
9. It is a UNION IN WHICH THE WIFE, AS COMPANION, ASSISTS HER HUSBAND IN DOING WHAT? Gen. 1:27-28. (In addition to reproducing themselves, a wife is to assist her husband ... )
a. In doing what with the earth?
b. In ruling over what?
The Main Idea: If you want your marriage to succeed, you must view marriage the way God does!
Prepared by James T. Bartsch
Published online by WordExplain.com
Email Contact: email@example.com
Bible quotations and Bible Study questions are based upon the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE ®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by the Lockman Foundation. (www.Lockman.org)
WordExplain by James T. Bartsch
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. Used by Permission.)
This Page Updated March 17, 2014
Button Bar Credit
Search WordExplain Site Here: