Equipping you to study the Bible on your own.
"Cursed is the ground because of you; in toil you will eat of it all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you; and you will eat the plants of the field; by the sweat of your face you will eat bread, till you return to the ground, because from it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return." Genesis 3:17b-19
The First Sin: Its Consequences and God’s Judgment
Genesis 3:7-24 (Study 5)
Introduction: In Genesis 3:1-6, Adam and Eve both sinned by following Satan instead of God. Eve was deceived, but Adam was not (1 Timothy 2:14). But God would hold Adam responsible for the first sin (Romans 5:12, 15-19) since he was her head (1 Cor. 11:3).
A. God Probes. 3:7-20
1. After Adam had Eve had sinned, what was the first consequence? (3:7).
2. What was the second consequence? (3:8).
3. God had warned Adam not to eat of the tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, for in the day he did so, he would surely die (2:16-17). We can see in 3:8 that Adam and Eve died spiritually the moment they ate the fruit. Spiritual death means that they were separated from God by their sin. Their separation can be seen from the fact that they deliberately hid from God. Here are the three kinds of death:
4. When God asked Adam whether he had eaten from the forbidden tree, how did Adam respond? (3:11-12).
5. When God asked Eve what she had done, what was her reply? (3:13).
6. What is man’s normal tendency, when confronted by his own sin?
7. In 3:14-15, God cursed the snake.
a. What would happen to the snake? (3:14).
b. What would happen to Satan, the being using the snake? (3:15).
8. In 3:16, what would happen to the woman?
9. How did God curse the ground because Adam sinned? (3:17-19a).
10. What would finally happen to Adam? (3:19b).
B. God Protects. 3:21-24
1. How did God’s protection affect the animal world? (3:21).
2. What was God concerned about? (3:22).
3. What did God do to prevent man from being trapped forever in an aging, decaying body?
a. In 3:23?
b. In 3:24?
C. Lessons to Learn
1. We all sin. (Romans 3:23).
2. We all earn death from our sin. (Genesis 3:19; Romans 6:23).
3. Someone would be born from woman who would crush the power of Satan. (Genesis 3:15).
4. Jesus demonstrates how much God loves us by dying in our place to pay for our sins. (Romans 5:8, 10).
5. God raised Jesus from the dead on the third day. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4).
6. If we trust in Jesus, God will forgive us of our sins and give us eternal life! (John 3:16; Acts 10:43).
7. Have you trusted in Jesus?
Prepared by James T. Bartsch
Published Online by WordExplain.com
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bible Study questions are based upon the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE ®, Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by the Lockman Foundation.
WordExplain by James T. Bartsch
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB. Used by Permission.)
This Page Published March 17, 2014
Button Bar Credit
Search WordExplain Site Here: