The Study of Last Things
by James T. Bartsch
Learning about the Future to Live Better Today
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war." (Rev. 19:11)
The Second Coming of Christ
(1) A white horse appeared in heaven. The One who sat on it is called "Faithful" and "True." In righteousness He judges and wages war (Rev. 19:11).
(2) He has flaming eyes and wears many diadems (crowns). An unknowable name is written on Him (Rev. 19:12).
(3) His robe is dipped in blood. This is the blood of His enemies, not His own (Isa. 63:1-6). He is called "The Word of God" (Rev. 19:13; cf. John 1:1-5, 14-18; 1 John 1:11-3).
(4) Armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses (Rev. 19:14). I personally believe this brilliant, massive, heavenly entourage descending with the glorious Christ will light up the sky, and will constitute "the sign of the Son of Man" (Matt. 24:30), on account of which the people of the earth will mourn in terror (Rev. 1:7).
(5) From His mouth comes a sharp sword (Rev. 19:15). He will merely speak a command, and destroy enemy nations opposing Him in battle (Rev. 19:21). He will rule the nations with a rod of iron, and He will tread the wine press of the fierce wrath of God Almighty (Rev. 14:19, 20; 19:15).
(6) On His robe and on His thigh His name is written, "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS" (Rev. 19:16).
(7) An angel stood in the sun and issued a cry to all the birds which fly in midheaven to come eat the flesh of all the enemy participants and horses in the upcoming slaughter (Rev. 19:17-18). Personally, I do not believe the references to horses in the book of Revelation are metaphorical. Even now Green proponents are pushing for all-electric vehicles in America, with the discontinuation of the internal combustion engine. Electric vehicles will operate as long as there is a power grid available to charge batteries. But with the massive earthquakes in the Tribulation period (Rev. 6:12; 8:5; 11:13; 16:18), I can see enormous disruptions in the electricity grid and the availability of electrical energy. It would not surprise me if earth's armies will have to resort to horses simply to move from one geographic area to another (Rev. 16:12).
(8) "And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies assembled to make war against Him who sat on the horse and against His army" (Rev. 19:19).
(9) The Beast and False Prophet were seized and thrown alive into the Lake of Fire (Rev. 19:20).
(10) The enemy combatants were killed at the command of Christ. All the birds were filled with their flesh (Rev. 19:21).
(11) Other Second Coming passages include Isaiah 63:1-6; Zechariah 14:1-15; Matthew 24:29-31 and 2 Thessalonians 1:4-10.
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB 1995.)
Background and Button Image Credit
Posted March 28, 2021
Updated April 12, 2021