The Study of the Holy Spirit
by James T. Bartsch
Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts.
A. The Holy Spirit is essential because God has always used His Spirit to empower people for service.
1. Exodus 31:1-5. God placed His Spirit upon Bezalel to make him a craftsman in constructing furniture for the tabernacle.
2. Judges 3:9-10. The Holy Spirit came upon Othniel so he could be a judge.
3. Judges 14:5-6. The Holy Spirit came upon Samson so he could kill a lion.
4. 1 Samuel 16:12-14. The Holy Spirit came upon David to be Israel's king. The result was that he was successful in battles as a general, and successful as a king. The Holy Spirit departed from Saul. He no longer had God's blessing. His career went downhill; he began to be plagued with demonic influence.
5. Zechariah 4:6-9. In his work of rebuilding the temple, Zechariah would not do it by might nor by power, but by God's Spirit.
6. Note: In the Old Testament the Holy Spirit did not dwell permanently within believers. He came upon them for specific acts of service. The Holy Spirit was with the Old Testament believer, but not in him (John 14:17). Once the Holy Spirit down on the Day of Pentecost, He now lives within the New Testament believer during the Church Age (1 Corinthians 6:19).
B. The Holy Spirit is essential because we are powerless to do anything without Him.
1. Mark 14:66-72. Note Peter's cowardly denial of Christ without the Holy Spirit.
2. Acts 2:14-17, 36. Note Peter's bold witness about Christ after he was filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4).
C. The Holy Spirit is essential because our bodies are presently tied down with a terrible sin nature.
1. Galatians 5:17, 19-21. There is a constant battle between God's Spirit and our sinful nature in our bodies.
2. Galatians 6:7-8. There is a real danger in living in the power of our sinful bodies.
D. The Holy Spirit is essential because He is the only One who can give us power to live a Godly life.
1. Galatians 5:22-23. A Christ-like character.
2. Acts 1:8. Power to witness.
E. The Holy Spirit is essential because we are commanded by God to be filled with His Spirit.
1. Ephesians 5:18. This will give us joy in worship and the ability to submit to authorities in life.
2. Galatians 5:16. This will keep us from living in the power of our sinful bodies.
F. The Holy Spirit is essential because we are in a spiritual BATTLE, which we cannot hope to win without God's Spirit. Ephesians 6:10-18
Prepared initally by James T. Bartsch on
Published Online by WordExplain.com
Email Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Scripture quotations taken from the NASB 1995. Used by Permission.)
Updated February 2, 2022